If you need to send several files by mail, then compressing them into a ZIP archive will help to reduce their size and number. It is easier to send one file than several. Sometimes you even need to archive several folders. Fortunately, the Mac has a built-in solution for this. The same tool will be used and, if necessary, unpack the resulting archives with files or folders.
If you still do not know how to work with archives on Mac, then we can help you. Here’s how to quickly compress and unzip files and folders on your Apple PC.
How to create a ZIP archive from files and folders on Mac
First, you need to go to the location on the macOS disk that contains files or folders that require compression. Then you will need to adhere to the following actions:
1. Select the files or folders you want. There are several ways to do this. You can use the keyboard shortcut Command (⌘) + Ato quickly select all items in a folder. You can select a range of elements by holding down the Shift (⇧) and clicking on the first and last file or folder in the list. Or you can use the pressed key Command (⌘) click on the necessary elements, adding them one by one to the already selected ones.
2. After selecting the files, click the right mouse button.
3. In the context menu that opens, select “Shrink Objects (N)»where N is the number of files or folders you selected. Please note that the term “compress” is used, not zip archive. In fact, we are talking about the same thing.
After completing the archiving process, you will be able to see a new file in the same folder. By default it has a name Archive.zip, but nothing prevents you from renaming it.
To do this, right-click on it and select “Rename” (4 ways to rename files on Mac).
Unzip files and folders on Mac
You don’t need to do anything special to unzip the file – you just need to double-click on the archive. The built-in macOS utility that deals with file compression will help you to extract information from archives. No third party application or special software is required. The system automatically processes these compressed files. After double clicking on the file, the unzipping process will begin. A folder with the same name will appear next to the file.
You can open it and find previously compressed files there.
We talked about how to unzip archives in RAR format in this article.
Standard Archiver on Mac
Since you do not need to run it specifically to use the backup utility, it is hidden in the system folder. However, there are a couple of archiving settings that you might need to change.
The fastest way to get direct access to the utility is to select the section in the Finder top menu. Go → Go to folder … … In the window for entering the path, you must enter /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications and press Go to.
In the list of applications, you can find the item “Archiving utility “.
Double clicking on it will launch the program. Then in the top menu bar you need to click Archiving Utility → Settings … .
In the window that appears, you can make some changes both for unzipping compressed files, and for creating them yourself. You can change the location of both the created archives and the extracted information using the options “Save unzip. files“And”Save archive“. You can also set the program’s actions after zipping and unzipping in the drop-down lists “After unzipping“And”After archiving».
After making changes, the settings window just needs to be closed.
Third party applications
If you think that you are quite often involved in creating archives and unpacking them and this requires additional functions, then we recommend several options for third-party solutions.
- Keka… An easy-to-use free popular archiver.
- WinZip… It is a popular file compression application with direct transfer capability and password protection.
- A—Zippr: RAR & Zip Tool (free, with internal purchases). This utility offers AES encryption and file preview.
Remember, Mac has a built-in archiving utility for compressing files and extracting information from them. You don’t have to search for it and open it, the program runs in the background. This allows you to comfortably and quickly compress and decompress files on macOS.
ProApk on Telegram – https://t.me/proapk_in
ProApk on Google News – https://news.google.com/publications/CAAqBwgKMP_S9AowhYDbAg
ProApk on Twitter – https://twitter.com/xdapirates
ProApk on Facebook – https://facebook.com/www.proapk.in