In this article, we will tell you why Telegram is not the best messenger. We will also tell you how to temporarily deactivate or permanently delete your Telegram account on iPhone and iPad. The instructions are the same for Android, Mac, PC and Web, but the steps may vary slightly.
Why Telegram is not for you
1. Messenger is not secure
Many people believe that Telegram is the most secure messenger, but it is not. WhatsApp and Signal use full encryption. This means that your messages are only available to you and your recipients.
In Telegram, only “secret chats” are fully encrypted, while regular and group chats are only partially encrypted. Messages are not encrypted on Telegram servers, so they are technically available to the messenger itself. When sending messages to and from the server, everything is encrypted.
2. Few people use Telegram
If few of your friends and relatives use Telegram, then it makes no sense for you to have an account in it.
3. Illegal activity
Telegram has channels and groups with illegal films, books, magazines, auctions, pornography, etc. Of course, if you do not look for them purposefully, you have nothing to worry about. If you’re worried that your child might be using your account to access these channels, it’s best to delete it altogether.
Advertising will appear in Telegram soon. If this situation does not suit you, you can stop using the platform.
5. You want to switch to another messenger
There are many instant messengers for different platforms in the App Store and Google Play Store. If you want to switch to another messenger, it is better to delete your Telegram account.
How to remove your contacts, card details and address from Telegram servers
1) Open the Telegram app on your iPhone and select the tab at the bottom “Settings”.
2) Select an item “Confidentiality”.
3) Select below «Management data».
4) Here you can “Delete Imported Contacts” and “Delete billing information”. You can also delete drafts and disable “Hint people when searching”. The latter will delete data about contacts with whom you corresponded most often, as well as about your bots.
How to delete all chats in Telegram
You cannot delete all chats at once in Telegram. You need to press the button “Change” in the upper left corner of the screen, mark all your chats, and then click “Delete”.
If you delete your Telegram account, this will automatically delete all your chats.
How to clear Telegram cache
To free up memory on your device, you can clear the cache of the Telegram app. In the app select Settings > Data & Memory > Memory Usage > Clear Cache Telegram». Here you can also choose the storage periods for files and set the maximum cache size.
How to log out of Telegram account on iPhone
You can add up to three accounts with different phone numbers to the Telegram app. To do this, on the settings screen, just press “Change” in the upper right corner of the screen and select “Add account”. If you need to log out of your account, here’s how to do it:
- Open the Telegram app and select the tab “Settings”.
- In the upper right corner, click “Change”.
- Click here “Log off”.
To log out of your Telegram account in the program on your computer or on the Telegram website, open the application on your smartphone. Select Settings > Devices and press “End other sessions”. You can also select one of the active sessions and end only that one.
If you do not have access to your smartphone, open the Telegram program on Mac, select from the menu Settings > Edit > Sign Out. If you remove the program from your Mac and install it again, you will have to log in again.
In the program on your PC or on the Telegram website, click 3-bar menu icon > Settings > 3-dot icon > Sign Out. If you clear your browser data, your Telegram account will also be reset.
How to deactivate a Telegram account temporarily
In Telegram, you cannot temporarily deactivate an account. If you need a break, you can only delete your account or simply delete the Telegram app from your smartphone. Deleting your account will also delete all your messages.
To be less distracted by the messenger, you can turn off notifications from chats and channels. This is done through the Settings app > Notifications. The Telegram app can also be hidden from the home screen.
What are the consequences of deleting a Telegram account?
- You will lose all your correspondence, unsaved media, channels, groups, etc.
- You will not be able to restore chats, media, channels and groups. Each channel will need to be re-joined manually.
- You will be removed from Telegram channels and groups created by you. Other administrators will be able to continue managing them. If you were the only administrator, then a random member of the group will become the new one.
- After deleting your Telegram account, you can create a new one in the future using the same phone number. However, this option will not be available for a few days.
How to export Telegram chats before deleting
You can only export Telegram chats through the messenger program on your computer. To do this, click the menu icon in the form of three bars, select “Settings”, and then “Advanced settings”. There is an option here “Export data from Telegram».
How to set up automatic deletion of a Telegram account
By default, your account will be automatically deleted if you are not online for 6 months. You can change the terms to 1 month, 3 months or 12 months.
- In the Telegram app, select “Settings” > “Privacy”.
- Select an item “If I don’t come in” and a new term.
You can set up automatic account deletion in the Mac program, but not through the Telegram web interface.
How to permanently delete a Telegram account
1) Go to site my.telegram.org through any browser on iPhone, iPad, Android, Mac or PC.
2) Enter your phone number.
3) An authorization code will appear in the Telegram application. Enter it on the site and click Sign In.
5) Click here Delete account and confirm the action.
You just permanently deleted your Telegram account.