Apple is testing iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 and recently allowed all users registered with the Apple Beta Software Program to install the beta version of this update. In this case, a developer account is not required, test updates are available to everyone.
Beta versions of operating systems are not very stable, they can cause problems – application crashes, fast battery consumption, emergency device reboots, data destruction, etc. Fortunately, Apple allows you to roll back to a stable build of iOS or iPadOS.
It is recommended that you back up your data before installing iOS 15 or iPadOS 15. If there is such a backup, you still have the opportunity to roll back to the previous version of the operating system, but without completely restoring all your data, that is, the device will not return to the state it was before the update was installed.
It is also worth keeping in mind that if you have installed the beta version of watchOS 8, you will not be able to use Apple Watch with an iPhone based on iOS 14, and you will not be able to roll back to watchOS 7 on your own – you will have to carry the watch to a service center. where specialists will install the old firmware on them.
To downgrade to iOS 14 or iPadOS 14, you first need to put your iPhone or iPad into recovery mode, and this is done differently on different models.
How to put iPhone or iPad into recovery mode
iPhone 8 and newer
Turn off your iPhone and press the volume up button, then the volume down button, and then hold down the power button until the recovery mode screen appears. Likewise, you can put an iPad with Face ID into recovery mode.
iPhone 7 and iPod touch 7th generation
Turn off your iPhone and hold down the volume down and power buttons until the recovery mode screen appears.
iPad with Home button and iPhone 6s and older, 6th generation iPod touch
Turn off your iPhone and hold down the Home and Power buttons until the recovery mode screen appears.
iPad and Face ID
Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Press and hold the power button until the tablet starts to reboot. Hold the power button until recovery mode starts.
After you have entered the recovery mode on the device, you can begin the process of rolling back to the previous version of the operating system.
How to rollback from iOS 15 or iPadOS 15
- Connect iPhone to PC or Mac with Lightning cable. Make sure your computer has internet access.
- Go into recovery mode.
- Open Finder and select your iPhone or iPad from the sidebar.
- You will see a message that there is a problem with the device and its firmware needs to be restored or updated. Click “Restore” and agree to the proposed terms.
- Wait a few minutes for the recovery process to complete.
After using this rollback method, you will get a clean install. To restore settings, correspondence, installed applications and other data, you need to restore information from a saved backup (if you have one):
- Connect iPhone to PC or Mac with Lightning cable.
- In iTunes or Finder, choose Restore from Backup.
- Select the saved backup and enter your Apple ID password, if required.
- In a few minutes, all the data that you backed up earlier will be transferred to your iPhone. Congratulations – your smartphone or tablet has returned to a stable state, you can use it again.