There are many graphic formats, but there are not so many popular ones. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages, differences in compression algorithms. So, TIFF is suitable for storing raster graphics or images with a large color depth, PDF allows you to use the capabilities of the PostScript language, and JPG (JPEG) is most often used for storing photographs (details).
However, this format, used by most camera devices, was developed as early as 1991. Since then, better alternatives have emerged. But their implementation remained difficult – how to convince many manufacturers to work with the new format? A bold step was taken by Apple, which, starting with iOS 11, proposed using the new HEIF format to store photos. HEIC became the container format for such data, and photos in Apple devices also received this extension (iPhone and iPad began to shoot in HEIC format instead of the usual JPG).
What are the HEIF, HEIC formats and why are they better than JPG (JPEG)?
The abbreviation HEIF itself literally means High Efficiency Image Front or “High Efficiency Image Format”. In fact, this is a version of the new HEVC or H.265 video compression format developed by the MPEG group in 2013-2015. Apple did not invent anything, but simply moved to a more advanced graphics storage technology. Only the 7th generation iPhone and subsequent smartphones of the company, iPad Pro and newer models of Apple tablets can take and store photos in HEIF format. Other devices running iOS 11 will only be able to view photos and videos taken in the new format after decoding. With a high degree of probability, it can be argued that HEIF will soon replace the outdated JPEG.
The list of advantages of HEIF (HEIC) over JPG (JPEG) is really impressive:
• half the size with the same quality;
• the ability to store several images in one heic-container at once (may be required in Live photos);
• support for transparency, similar to the GIF format;
• support for 16-bit colors, not 8-bit, like JPEG;
• saving image changes (cropping, rotation) and the ability to cancel operations;
• the ability to store data in one container with or without compression.
How to open and convert HEIC photo on Windows computer?
By default, Windows does not understand this format. It is also not supported by popular graphic editors for this OS, including the famous Adobe Photoshop. Plugins and updates are yet to be released. In the meantime, double-clicking on a .heic file will bring up a prompt to select an application.
Only for Windows 10 (for other versions there is a similar solution, about it below) in the Microsoft Store it became possible to install a special codec to view the new format (link). To do this, in the app store, find “HEIF Image Extensions” and install this free add-on.
After that, files with the .heic extension will open like other graphics in compatible applications. Yes and in Explorer thumbnail images will appear.
Owners of older versions of Windows will have to use converters. The easiest option is online tools that do not require the installation of additional software. A popular resource is Heictojpg.
Up to 50 photos in the new format can be uploaded to the service for free at a time and converted to JPG files. You do not need to make any settings – the service will optimize and convert automatically. It remains only to download the result.
The resource will help to convert .heic not only to JPG, but also to other formats CloudConvert.
Applications for Windows
A free codec program will also be a useful tool for Windows. CopyTrans HEIC.
After installing it, Windows will receive support for the .heic format and will allow you to easily convert HEIC to familiar JPEG. To do this, simply right-click on the picture and select the desired menu.
And here is the program iMazing HEIC Converter offers only conversion functions. The application is free, but it allows you to convert HEIC not only to JPG, but also to PNG. You just need to drag the files into the working window and click the button «Convert».
How to open and convert HEIC on Mac (macOS)?
Support for the HEIF format appeared not only in iOS 11, but also in macOS High Sierra. But on a computer, you may also need to work with JPG. Luckily, iOS 11 (and newer), like High Sierra (and newer), will automatically convert any generic HEIF files to JPEGs on the fly, provided they’re sent via the menu. Share. This allows for compatibility between devices.
But what if the folder contains a lot of photos in the desired format, but what you need is JPEG? And not all applications support the new format, including social networks. In this case, a conversion is required.
The already mentioned free app iMazing HEIC Converter will be able to convert them by simply dragging and dropping files into the window.
But it is possible to use the tools built into macOS.
The conversion will help implement the standard application View.
1. Open in Finder folder with HEIF images to be converted to JPG.
2. Select the required files with the key ⌘Cmd, and a combination ⌘Cmd + A or menu Edit → Select All will select all the contents of the folder.
3. Right click on one of the files. Popup menu Finder select Open in program → View.
4. Selected photos will open in the standard application View. Display image thumbnails in the sidebar (if they don’t appear) with the combination ⌘Cmd + ⌥Option (Alt) + 2.
Select (highlight) all files with combination ⌘Cmd + A or commands “Choose all” on the menu “Edit”.
5. Menu “File” Choose a section “Export selected images…”.
6. In the window that appears, click the button “Parameters” and open submenu “Format”, where you select the desired option, such as JPEG (JPG).
7. The conversion will start after pressing the button “Select”.
How to convert HEIC to JPG directly on iPhone and iPad?
You can convert photos taken in HEIC directly to your iPhone or iPad. There are several options to do this right on your mobile device.
1. Photo editor. Photo editors in iOS such as Adobe Lightroom CC, support the HEIC format. They can export photos to JPG or any other supported format.
2. Send image by Email. The built-in Mail app in iOS automatically converts attached HEIC photos to JPG, even if the quality option is selected “Actual”.
3. Apps conversion. You can find several free and paid HEIC to JPG converters in the iOS app store. It is difficult to identify a clear favorite, all applications do about the same thing. In the App Store, enter HEIC to JPEG into the search bar and select the option you like.
How to save photos in JPG by default in iOS on iPhone and iPad, and not in HEIC?
It is quite logical that some users do not want to deal with the additional conversion of heic files to the familiar JPG. For such people, Apple has retained the ability to take pictures in a standard format in iOS.
1. Open the app “Settings” and go to section “Camera”.
2. Select a subsection “Formats” with two choices: “High efficiency” and “Most Compatible”.
In the first case, the use of the HEIC format is implied, while the option “Most Compatible” implies the use of the JPEG format for the photo. The same menu also defines video codecs – the new H.265 and the traditional H.264, respectively.