If you have two Macs, or just several people in the family use Apple computers, then sooner or later the question of file sharing will arise. This can be, for example, an archive, a financial spreadsheet, a PDF file with a contract, purchase receipts, etc.
In this article, we will share seven very easy ways to share files between two Mac computers. Each option is simple in its own way. Choose the method that best provides document confidentiality, ease of access to services, or simply more to your liking.
How to share files between Macs
How to transfer files from Mac to Mac using AirDrop
The fastest and easiest way to share files between two Macs is AirDrop. This service uses Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to send your files, so the devices themselves must be within 10 meters of each other.
To send a file using AirDrop, you can use the menu “Share” or the AirDrop window.
– Use the context menu item (or button) “Share”to open sharing options. Select AirDrop, then find and click on the desired device in the pop-up window and click “Ready” after sending the file.
– Use the Finder to open the AirDrop window.
If AirDrop is in the Finder sidebar, just select it. If not, then click Transition → AirDrop in the menu bar. Drag the file to the AirDrop window to the device you want to send it to.
How to transfer a file from Mac to Mac using iCloud Drive
You can share both files and folders from iCloud Drive. This allows more than one file to be exchanged in one session.
1. Open a Finder window and click iCloud Drive in the sidebar.
2. Select the file or folder you want to share and click “Share” on the toolbar. Then select “Share File” or “Share Folder”.
3. In the window that opens, select the method for sending the invitation and set the permissions.
4. Click “Share”then follow the instructions for the exchange method you choose.
How to transfer a file from Mac to Mac using the Messages app (or other messengers)
Another easy way to share files between two Macs is to use the Messages app (or other messengers like Telegram, Viber, etc.). So, if your computers are too far apart for AirDrop access, and you don’t want to worry about permissions and the like with iCloud Drive, then this is a quick and convenient option.
As with AirDrop, you have several ways to share files using Messages:
– Use the share button to open sharing options. Select Messages, add a recipient, and press Enter after the file appears in the message.
– Open a conversation with the recipient in Messages, drag the file there and press Enter.
How to transfer a file from Mac to Mac using the Mail app
This method will allow you to transfer the file that you exchange with each other to a third party. It is possible to attach a file to an email in Mail in several ways at once, your recipient can then forward this information to where he needs to.
– Use button “Share” in Finder or another app to open sharing options. Select Mail, add a recipient and click “Send” after the file appears in the email.
– Create a new letter to the recipient in the Mail application, drag the file into the letter and click “Send”.
– Create a new email to the recipient in the Mail application, press the button “The attachment” on the toolbar, find and select the file, click “Select a file” and send an email when it’s ready.
How to transfer a file from Mac to Mac using Dropbox, Google Drive, Yandex.Disk or other cloud storage
If you are a user of Yandex.Disk, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. cloud storage, then it is likely that you will want to choose this option, especially if the file you want to share is already in this cloud. And while you can access all of these “clouds” online, if you want, each of them has a free Mac app.
Sharing files through cloud services on the Internet or in an application is inherently analogous to sharing information through iCloud Drive. Click “Share”add a recipient, and select a method for distributing the link to the downloaded file.
Download Yandex.Disk for Mac
Download Google Drive for Mac
Download Dropbox for Mac
In addition, there are other free cloud storages that do not even need to go through the registration procedure (more).
How to transfer a file from a Mac to another Mac using Sharing
You can share the folder containing the documents you want to share using the file sharing feature in macOS. This allows other users on your network to access the folder you specified.
1. To activate this feature, open System settings → General access.
2. Check the box on the left “File Sharing”.
3. On the right side you will see shared folders and you can click the plus sign to add yours to the list. Next, in the same place, configure which users will be given access and with what rights.
As soon as you activate file sharing, you will see that the indicator next to the option “File Sharing: Enabled” will light up green. And you’ll see the local hostname you’ll need to access your elements.
How to transfer a file from Mac to Mac using an external drive (SSD, USB flash drive)
While features like AirDrop and options like iCloud Drive make it easy to share files between Macs, let’s not forget about using a flash drive. This can be a handy option if you don’t want to store a document on your computer, but need quick and easy access to that information across multiple devices.
Connect your external drive to your Mac. Open the drive in the sidebar in the Finder under Places or through the user folder and drag the file to the desired folder. Now eject the drive, plug it into another Mac, access the drive in Finder, and open the file.
If you have a problem, it is always good to have several options for solving it. Most likely, one of the seven main options for sharing files between Macs will be the easiest and most convenient for you. And how do you prefer to exchange information between your computers? Tell us in the comments about it.